Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good. Great. Awesome.

Exploring Good.is. . . 
F i r s t I m p r e s s i o n: 
At first glimpse I notice the clean cut lines and organization this website utilizes. Very sophisticated. The establishment of hierarchy is easily identified and the lines are simple with great readability. It has a personal feel as it greets you with "hello!" I like simple but if I didn't know exactly what "good.is" was, I would be a bit perplexed on where to start or what the concept was. After identifying the concept, I find the incorporation of many medias and ideas into one to be quite a task to take on. I think they have successfully created common ground for all the differences. 
Another flaw that I find annoying is advertisements on a website. I hate when they're cluttered with ads that take away from the beautiful designs of a page. I know it is necessary but it's quite frustrating.  
C o n s i s t a n c y is key! 
V i d e o s:
After watching some videos I realized that timing is everything. Some videos utilize the negative space (when nothing is being said) to highlight specific things, while others utilize the speaking by emphasizing the type and layout. I watched many series of  the Good News video with sexy Roger Numbers and really liked the loading icon! It adds a different touch to the video. It's interesting the the way that it incorporates both live actors and animated characters with the whole anchorman plot. The usage of black and white to colors also gives it a comical interaction mimicking the idea behind the whole scenario. This video, unlike others, don't rely mainly on the words you hear. They use more images and scenes that overlay the voices.  
The "Hidden Cost of War" video is very intriguing. The way the typography is brought to the screen makes me really excited to do our project. I would of never thought of many of their transitions. And at first it made sense to me to have the text appear on the screen as the actual words were being said but now, after watching this video five times, I realize that it kept me on my toes as the typography appeared at different times. I love it. The music helps as well. The graphics and typography work so well and really utilize the fore and background. Can they do my project for me? :) Please! THESE VIDEOS MADE ME EXCITED FOR THIS PROJECT! 
G r a p h i c s/M a g a z i n e: 
The graphics AREN'T overwhelming! I like it a lot b/c I have realized that many websites or blogs have "icon throw-up" The placement of everything seems to be very thought-out. In many videos they do a fabulous job of using both typography and graphics to represent what is being heard. This is smart because it kept me more interested in what was being said because it forced me to create the iconic connection. 
The magazine layout is also very simple and consistent. Allowing the viewer to comment is something that I feel makes or breaks a website. I usually find the comments on an article more important than the article because people identify ideas that I would of never created.  

No comments: