a n i m a t i o n: Typography, usually viewed as a static medium, can be animated to create an artistic expression and convey emotion and mood. It utilizes typography's similarities and differences to illustrate the content being said.
((This is incredibly fascinating to me. I tried doing this approach with my flash video last semester! Little did I know, we would be doing a project about it! Skiiiidileedooo!))
The videos without music use movement of the text and changes with sizes and speed to create a visually appealing and very interesting video. The impact is further heightened when the sound is added. The similarity between many of the videos is the emphasis on certain words and the use of scale. The actions of the typography is very interesting as one part turns into another.
I analyzed a couple different types of videos. The song ones caught my attention more because the words appeared to the beat. . . this kept my interest. . . I'm easily entertained. But as I started to watch more of the speech typographic solutions, I became more intrigued. As the ones follows the songs, I knew when the type was going to appear, but the speeches were different. The words didn't appear, fall, or change in size to a specific beat. Some videos are simple and rely on layout of sentences to keep appeal, while others are all over the place. I prefer all over the place. . . it's more my style. The feelings change as the colors, pace, tone of voice, and fonts all differ. I am attracted to all the different types. . .I can't choose what I "don't" like. Ha.
The transitions, that I find most successful, utilize the shapes within the letters either by zooming in or way out to create new space for the next word. The turning and skewing of words to fit the content is very appealing. I find keeping a solid and simple background helps the viewer to focus on the text and not be too perplexed by changing backgrounds.
The "Catch Me If You Can" opening sequence is awesome! The colors used aren't too over dramatic and allows the text and simple graphics to tell the story. The use of overlapping and scale with the animations, while the texts remains the same size is a nice juxtaposition. The way simple shapes are utilized to create different objects (the rectangles turning into an elevator) just adds to the in-depth storytelling process and really kept me interested. The graphics are fabulous! So simple yet so intriguing. I really like how both a vertical and horizontal feel throughout the whole thing, keeps it flowing nicely and one situation quickly turns into another. The music also creates interesting theatrical appeal.
Of course I love the "Superbad" sequence. It automatically sets the mood for the movie. The simple outlined figures creates a cartoonist approach that works well with the disco song. By keeping the text simple, it allows focus on the figures and their funky dance moves.
The "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" sequence does a PRIME JOB of telling a story and setting the mood. A sense of urgency and wonder are tempered with as the graphics and text interlace to create dramatized situations. The colors fit the role and the simple approach to the shapes is nicely counter-pointed with the intensity of the scene.
I love Dane Cook. He's mine, back off.
No comments:
Post a Comment